Chiyoda is now hiring a Subcontract Engineer to work at the Chiyoda Global Headquarters (CGH) office in Yokohama, Japan. This is a one-year assignment expected to begin 01 April 2020, and may then work at the site as required.
To work within the Construction Department or a multi-disciplinary project team; apply professional skills and expertise to maximize profit, protect against claims and/or potential losses and anticipate and report areas of commercial risk through detailed analysis of relevant information.
- Work as reasonably instructed by Group Leader and/or Section Leader
- When instructed, direct and supervise the work of other Subcontract Engineers and/or Subcontract Inquiry Engineers
- Review Subcontracts and/or Head Contract Terms and Conditions (Commercial and Technical), identifying potential and actual commercial risk and advising on mitigation strategies incorporating Lessons Learned.
- Review other forms of Contract including, but not limited to:
- Purchase Orders,
- Vendor Technical Service Agreements,
- Engineering Service Agreements,
- License Agreements, and
- Long Lead Items Contracts etc.
- Advise project teams on appropriate Subcontract strategies as required
- Undertake miscellaneous reviews and advise on methods of limiting risk from lessons learnt
- Review Subcontractor claims and assist with the preparation of defense against subcontractors and/or counterclaims
- Face to face negotiations with Subcontractors as required
- Assist with bidding and pre award activities as required
- Ability, motivation, and willingness to be assigned to a project, either full time or on an ad hoc basis for specific tasks and if full time, also to a project site
- Provide supervision to less experienced Chiyoda Subcontract Engineers and/or Subcontract Inquiry Engineers as instructed through deliverable reviews etc. and impart advice and recommendations through meetings and discussions
- Degree in Quantity Surveying or related construction profession
- Minimum 10 years in the construction industry demonstrating long term appointments as a Quantity Surveyor, Contract Surveyor, Subcontract Engineer, Commercial Manager or similar (no ‘job-hoppers’)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Subcontract Engineer for a major EPC Contractor on projects
- LNG project experience is advantageous.
- Knowledge of contractual mechanisms for EPC project execution and subcontracting
- Ability to interpret, understand and advise on complex contractual matters
- Expert in Microsoft Suite, SAP and subcontract management software. Knowledge of Primavera P6 scheduling software an advantage
- Has understanding of construction schedule, managing of subcontractors and subcontract documents
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision and as an effective team member whilst ensuring compliance with management directions
- Ability to negotiate ‘Face-to-Face’ with clients and subcontractors to achieve pre-determined outcomes
- A ‘people person’ with the ability to listen and succinctly impart information, advise, mentor, influence and inspire those being supervised in a non-confrontational manner to achieve best outcomes
- Communicate effectively with management and team members to ensure a complete flow of required information
- Willingness to continuously strive to achieve Company’s Vision, Mission and Goals
- Fluent in English is mandatory
- Ability to work successfully, and ensure harmonious relations, with people from different cultures, backgrounds and motives.
- Apply high standards to own work and ensure work is completed and submitted in a professional manner within required timelines
- Ability to draft clear, concise, contract conditions and contractual correspondence
- Adept multi-tasker with a flexible ‘can do’ work attitude
- Sound knowledge and experience of HSE requirements in brownfield and greenfield EPC Contracts
To apply for this role:
Please click the "APPLY" icon and attach an English / Word format resume to your application.
REGISTER FOR JOB ALERTS
By registering for our job alert, you’ll get email notifications on new positions that are matched to the preferences you choose.